Edgehill Road

                                                         

Welcome to the Edgehill Methodists at All Saints section of the Leicester North Circuit’s Web Site!

About us

We are a small, friendly church situated in a mixed residential area in the North East of Leicester.  Since November 2013 we have been worshipping at All Saints Church, an Anglican Church with a mainly Asian congregation, on the corner of Kerrysdale Avenue and Gipsy Lane Leicester. As far as our worship is concerned it can best be described as traditional Methodist!  Our congregation varies in number from 12 to 18 and we have 30 friends on our Community Roll. We have a modern electronic organ and three sets of hymn books – Singing the Faith, Hymns & Psalms and Methodist Hymns Old and New.

Services are held every Sunday at 10.15 a.m. Our  main weekday activity is our Thursday morning Coffee Shop. Open from 10.00 a.m. until 12 noon you will receive a warm welcome as well as hot drinks and homemade cakes!

The Area

The area immediately surrounding the church is a mixture of pre and post Second World War residential property and the church is immediately next to a small shopping precinct and almost opposite a large Hindu Temple.  The people who live on the area have a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds.

Church History – The Wheel Turns Full Circle!

The Church has an interesting history. During 1896/97 a brick-built mission hall was speculatively erected on a site in Edgehill Road, Leicester (about half a mile away from All Saints). The first to take advantage of the new premises were evangelising Anglicans.  After three years they moved to a new site on the main Gipsy Lane and eventually, after the Second World War, to the present church of All Saints (formerly known as St. Gabriel’s Church) on Kerrysdale  Avenue.  The mission hall was then offered to the Primitive Methodists. For the first five years the £10 yearly rental would be returnable with the proviso that, with the expiry of that period, they would properly rent, purchase - or vacate - the premises.  This unusual arrangement seems a clear indication of the highly uncertain nature of their venture.  It is now very difficult to determine precisely when Methodist worship commenced at Edgehill Road. We are not on certain ground until it appears for the first time in the Circuit Quarterly Preaching Plan on Sunday, 7th January 1900. The new venture prospered to the extent that by early 1902, the Trustees felt confident enough to purchase the 200 seat hall with a view to establishing regular permanent worship in it.  To do so, the guide to the 1918 Primitive Methodist Conference informs us, they had to fend off the rival bid put In by a Working-Men’s Club!

Eventually sufficient funds were raised to construct a purpose built church, the foundation stone being formally laid on Saturday, May 14th, 1955 by Mr Samuel Rogers, whose connections with the circuit went back to the early years of the century.  The new church was opened a little under a year later on Saturday, 21 April, 1956.

The 2012 Quinquennial Inspection of the premises revealed that a large sum of money would need to be spent, particularly of the Victorian Schoolroom, to bring the premises up to an acceptable standard.  As a result the congregation decided to approach the Anglican congregation at All Saints to see if would be possible to use their premises for worship and for the Coffee Shop. We were welcomed with open arms and have settled down in our new home.

So the wheel has indeed turned full circle!

Churches Together

We continue to support Churches Together in Belgrave & Rushey Mead

Contacts

Senior Church Steward
Brian Pearson
Phone: 0116 267 3824
Email: brian.pearson49@btinternet.com

Treasurer
Stephen Thompson
Phone: 0116 276 6228
Email: stephen.thompson67@tesco.net

                  Our new home.                                                                       Our first service


Edgehill Road
Webpage icon Edgehill Road Lunch
Printer Printable Version